Enrollment Process 6-12th grades:
Students do not enroll directly to El Sereno Independent Study, but rather transfer to us from their San Juan Unified school.
Please download a Voluntary Transfer Application request form and work with your school counselor to complete and submit. Please download the file and use the free adobe reader program, not an internet browser, to fill this out.
- As this is a TRANSFER request, it is El Sereno’s policy that there be no gap of enrollment between the transferring school and El Sereno. Students must be enrolled in and attending a San Juan Unified school to be eligible to transfer to El Sereno. If a student drops prior to the transfer and are no longer enrolled with San Juan, the transfer may be denied.
- Being able to read and write at grade level is essential to independent study.
- Faxing/emailing the application does not guarantee placement at El Sereno.
The process begins at the student's current San Juan Unified school:
- Students and parents/ guardians will meet with their current school counselor indicating that they would like to transfer to El Sereno.
- If a family decides, the counselor, student, and parent/guardian will fill out the Voluntary Transfer Application, the counselor will email the form to El Sereno. If a student has an IEP, they will need to work with their case manager to schedule a change of placement IEP with El Sereno's team.
- El Sereno's counselor reviews the application with the transcript and may provide feedback as appropriate, contacting the counselor, and parent/guardian as needed.
- Parents/ guardians will be contacted by El Sereno staff to set up an orientation appointment. Our orientations generally take place every Thursday. Special arrangements will be made if the parent/guardian needs translation services.
If students are not currently enrolled in an San Juan Unified school, they must enroll at San Juan Central.
For those already contacted by El Sereno and have an orientation date and time:
- Make sure all your paperwork to enroll has been completed before orientation. These must be completed before attending.
- The Master Agreement has been signed and sent back to El Sereno.
- Parent/guardian and student attendance is mandatory unless the student is over 18 years of age.
- Our orientation takes place in person @ El Sereno @ Room #10 @ THURSDAYS from 10 am - 12 pm
- If mapping to our location please use our full address, 10700 Fair Oaks Blvd., Fair Oaks, CA 95628, as some mapping services have difficulty finding our location by name.